Count to 4 to split into different groups.
Take five minutes and write about your reaction to this political cartoon. What do you observe in the cartoon? Do you agree with it? Parts of it? After you’ve written for five minutes, discuss with the members of your table.
- What is your reaction to the book?
- Who is Joan Wallach Scott (Google)?
- What are the three “headscarf controversies” detailed by Scott?
- American multiculturalism: what is the French reaction to this, according to Scott?
- What is the significance of the different words for “veil”? What are the different words?
- What role does the Front National play, according to Scott?
- What is Scott’s argument about racism?
- What is the role of the Algerian War, and of colonialism?
Your discussion questions
Share your prepared discussion questions with the members of your group.